All events held in the Foyer must be sponsored by a UCT department, faculty or unit and formally approved by the IDM Director. Note that permission to hold functions in the cafeteria and concourse will be prioritized according to IDM activities, FHS research fundraising, alumni reunions, or functions hosted by the Dean or Vice-Chancellor’s office.
Departments at UCT that are separate from the IDM
Campus Security Services (CPS) oversees access to the IDM. During regular office hours (8:00 – 16:00) the Wolfson Pavilion Security desk is manned by a member of CPS who will grant access. The booking group must furnish the Wolfson Pavilion Security Desk with a list of expected guests in advance of the event. For events occurring after hours, the applicant needs to arrange for access with CPS (Johannes.Jacobs@uct.ac.za) prior to the event taking place, and the applicant needs to determine which access doors can be used. It's crucial to note that after-hours access to the IDM is limited, and ensuring the safety of the facility and its users remains a top priority. As such, no doors may be kept/propped open during the event to grant access to attendees.
Please contact Clifford.Cweya@uct.ac.za or email@example.com in the Traffic Office and
cc Johannes.Jacobs@uct.ac.za to arrange parking for any external guests and vendors.
• No cutlery or crockery will be provided by the IDM.
• The applicant is to ensure that access to the Wolfson Pavilion is arranged with CPS for the caterers (lowering of the access control mechanisms to facilitate delivery, as well as access through the side door).
• The kitchen counter area (behind Food & Connect) is available for use.
• It is crucial to emphasize that serving alcohol is strictly prohibited during office hours. For events occurring after hours, alcohol may be served but it must not occur without proper monitoring. Alcohol service and consumption is limited to the Wolfson Pavilion Foyer ONLY. Alcohol may not be consumed in the Wolfson Lecture Theatre OR in the neighbouring buildings OR outside of the Foyer. The patio area (outside the Foyer) may be used for alcohol consumption.
• All catering utensils as well as refuse to be removed immediately after the event.
Campus cleaning (firstname.lastname@example.org) must be contacted by the applicant to schedule cleaning prior and post event, once this application has been approved by way of booking confirmation from the IDM Directorate (email@example.com).
Wolfson Pavilion Foyer and other IDM furniture use:
• No Personalization: Do not personalize or modify the furniture in any way, including painting, carving, or attaching items. Setup for purposes of event facilitation is allowed, and no permanent changes are permitted.
• Cleanliness is Key: Always clean up after yourself. Wipe down surfaces and remove any debris or trash.
• Food or Drinks: Avoid placing food, drinks, or any substances that could cause stains or damage on the furniture.
• Gentle Use: Use the furniture gently and avoid excessive force or rough handling that could cause damage.
• The yellow sound suppression boards in the Foyer are NOT to be used to put up POSTERS. These boards are for dividing spaces to create a sound insulated area, and the white boards are for co-working purposes. Only non-permanent markers may be used on these white boards.
• Report Issues: If you notice any damage or issues with the furniture prior to the event, please report it immediately to the IDM Directorate (firstname.lastname@example.org).
• Post event inspection: Any damage to furniture that is detected by the IDM Directorate (email@example.com) post event will be for the applicant’s account.
• No Removal: Furniture should not be removed from common spaces to personal areas without proper authorization.
• Respect Shared Spaces: Furniture in common areas is meant for everyone to use. Please treat it with care and consideration.
• Respect Others' Space: Do not monopolize the furniture for extended periods, ensuring that others have a chance to use it.
• Follow Foyer Rules: Adhere to any specific rules posted in the common area regarding furniture use.
• The applicant to return the foyer to its original state. This includes returning furniture that was taken from other areas in the IDM.
• Fire Exit Doors to be kept clear at all times.
• Extension cords and electrical catering equipment used should be in a good state of repair so as to avoid plugs being tripped at the local distribution board.
The event coordinator must use the Guest Wi-Fi Portal for guests who are not eduroam affiliated. Click the provided link: https://icts.uct.ac.za/services-internet-and-networking-wireless/wireless-access-uct-guests you will be taken directly to the specialized UCT guest wireless access page on the ICTS website. This page contains a detailed, step-by-step guide that will assist you in enabling Guests of your event to connect to the wireless internet network at UCT.
Please submit the completed application form to:
Olefile Sedumedi, the IDM Research Administration and Communication Assistant by emailing: firstname.lastname@example.org (Tel: 021 650 3407)
The IDM Directorate will initially act as liaison between the applicant, Cleaning Services (email@example.com), CPS (Johannes.Jacobs@uct.ac.za) and the IDM Building Manager (Rayaana.Fredericks@uct.ac.za). After which it will be the responsibility of the applicant to make the necessary arrangements to:
1) Have the Foyer cleaned,
2) To supply a list of attendees to the Wolfson Security desk (should the event be during office hours and/or should the event have external attendees),
3) To gain access to the building (if the event is after hours),
4) Arrange access for caterers and other vendors,
5) Arrange parking for their guests,
6) Return the Foyer to its original state.
Not complying with the above may result in the booking being cancelled.