The IDM also participated in the Life Sciences Across the Globe online seminar series as one of 8 leading “sister” institutes from the USA, Europe, UK, Latin America, India and China.
The IDM is the only sister institute from Africa. As part of this seminar programme, the IDM showcased “Science” and “Research Culture” talks as host of various seminars:
- Valerie Mizrahi and Anastasia Koch (co-founder and co-director of Eh!woza) presented talks at the first IDM hosted session on 5 August 2020.
- Tom Scriba and Cheleka Mpande (PhD candidate and Communications Officer for Immunopaedia) presented the second round of talks hosted on 30 September 2020.
- Ambroise Wonkam and Ntando Yola (Community Engagement Lead at the Desmond Tutu Health Foundation) presented the third round of talks hosted on 25 November 2020.
- Sharon Lewin (The Peter Doherty Institute for Infection and Immunity), Thumbi Ndung’u (Africa Health Research Institute), and Linda-Gail Bekker presented the 2021 talk on HIV Cure on 4 August.
- Robin Wood, Lydia Bourouiba (MIT), and Lidia Morawska (University of Queensland) presented the 2022 talk on Air Quality and Infectious Disease on 1 June.
The following initiativesare supported, to which applications may be made:
1. Weekly seminars, organised either by the IDM, or once a month by the Division of Immunology (2 speakers, often postgraduate students or postdoctoral fellows). Seminars are generally held on Wednesdays, from 13h00 to 14h00 sharp unless otherwise specified. The venue is usually the Wolfson Pavilion Lecture Theatre (WPLT) unless otherwise specified.
2. Additional special seminars may be presented by Visiting Scientists, for whom financial support is available.
3. Master classes, practical skills development workshops, and a variety of workshops aligned with our transformation objectives take place each quarter.
The Education working group is led by Jo-Ann Passmore and Katherine Antel and any alternate suggestions to complement current initiatives can be submitted. Membership to the Education working group is voluntary, and open to all staff and students affiliated with the IDM. The Chair, Jo-Ann Passmore and co-chair, Katherine Antel may be contacted regarding joining the Education working group.