The IDM is a research-intensive institute that strives to be at the forefront of international technological developments within its areas of interest. We recognise that exposing our young researcher scientists to the best technological training opportunities is a key aspect to achieve this goal.
We are therefore seeking applications from Postdoctoral Research Fellows to submit and motivate for skills development training in technologies that will add value to the research effort of the IDM.
The IDM is offering 2 Technical Skills Development Awards (R50 000 each) towards international travel and subsistence for successful applicants. The award must be taken up in 2023.
To qualify as an applicant you must adhere to the following:
- Belong to a member group associated with the IDM (Full and Associate Members only)
- Be within the first 3 years post PhD in 2023, i.e you should have started your post-doctoral studies in 2020
- Be applying to be trained in a technology not offered at UCT
To apply you must provide:
- A letter of offer for the specific training from the institute you intend to visit
- A letter of support from your supervisor
- An updated CV
- A two-page motivation
The two-page motivation should speak to which skills you seek to acquire that cannot be obtained at UCT and how acquiring those skills will benefit the IDM. Please also state how you will share the knowledge and skills gained with colleagues within the IDM. You may make use of the IDM Master class or special seminars programme to share the knowledge and skills gained.
Adjudication criteria include:
- A clear need for the skills which will be acquired, both for the applicant and for the IDM
- How the skills which will be acquired will be shared to the benefit of the IDM
An independent panel will assess the applications and no correspondence will be entered into.
Click HERE to apply for the Postdoctoral Technical Skills Development Grant.