Election to IDM membership requires fulfilment of the following criteria, which vary depending upon the category of membership. In exceptional circumstances, membership may be granted to an applicant who does not meet the criteria for research productivity, but for whom there is evidence of particular academic distinction, and an especially good fit with the Institute’s research focus areas. There are five categories of membership:
An established researcher holding a UCT appointment.
An emerging researcher holding a UCT appointment.
An established researcher holding a UCT appointment, based at UCT elsewhere than in the IDM complex.
An established researcher not employed by, or based at UCT.
An early- or intermediate-level researcher holding a UCT appointment.
Process for election as a Member:
- Proposals for new IDM Members in all categories must be made by the candidate themselves, or by an existing (Full) Member with an accompanying Letter of Support.
- The candidate must complete a membership application form and submit this together with a letter of motivation, a plan for further funding to sustain their research (Full and Associate membership only), and a full CV.
- Proposals will be considered by the Membership Committee of the Institute chaired by the Director.
- Recommendations will then be made to the existing Full and Associate Membership. A two-thirds majority of the membership in favour is required for appointments in all categories.
- Recommendations will then be made by the Director to the Governing Board for ratification.
- In the case of renewals, processes for considering proposals must begin not less than 4 months prior to the completion of the term concerned. The process for renewals is the same as for new applications.
Process for application as an IDM Fellow:
- Applicants must submit a copy of their CV (NIH style or equivalent) with a letter of motivation outlining their career aspirations and alignment of their work with the vision, mission, and values of the IDM, as well as a letter of recommendation from a Member of the IDM.
- Applications will be reviewed by a sub-committeeof the IDM Membership Committee chaired by the Director.
- Recommendations will then be made to the existing Membership. A two-thirds majority of the membership in favour is required for appointment.
- Applications can be made at any time however the sub-committee will only meet twice annually to review applications.
- Membership will be for a term of up to 5-years, which is non-renewable. It is envisioned that IDM Fellows may become eligible, and willing to apply, for Associate Membership.